Thursday, April 21, 2005

Onward and Upward with the Ambitions!

If I haven't mentioned it, I'm a file clerk at a good-sized firm here in A-town. Today is my first day in moving from the Real Estate section where the people are hypersamaritan nice but the job is boring, to Litigation, where the opposite is true, if rumor is to be believed.

But first: on Monday, a real estate lawyer took my colleague, Zabba (also a file clerk and future lawyer) and myself to lunch, where we plugged him for information like a government detainee. We asked him tons of questions about law school, choosing firms and practice areas, and wheeled out every horror story we'd read in Scott Turow's One L, specifically about the first year only allowing for thirty minutes of sleep. To all of which this gentleman replied with a slight shrug of the shoulders and an unimpressed 'Eh'. Eh! He pointed out that how one responds to pressure is probably the best indicator of how one will handle law school and put in a point for remaining diligent and calm. Zabba and I were in jaw-dislodged awe. I mean, yes, that's a fine theory, just like I should wake up early every morning and do tai chi on Mt. Bonnell, but it's hard to implement. But he--who Zabba appropriately dubbed Even Steven--seemed genuinely unflapped by pretty much anything. Even Steven keeps a steady hand.

Second: As yesterday was my last day in real estate, at 5:30, Zabba and I took my stuff from my desk on 22 up to my new desk on 24 and dropped it there. I think we both have visions of Litigation being very sexy and well-connected. Well, RE must be well-connected as well, but it really only has one modus operandiddly: development of the good earth. Litigators, on the other hand, can be anything: pirates, knights, librarians, mongooses, nuns and snake-charmers. One of the litigators I'll be working with strolled out of his office and struck up conversation with us. Nice guy. He and I graduated from the same program at UT and he once was a law firm gopher. (sometime, I'll go into detail about what it's like to be living office equipment) We got onto City Council elections coming up and he pointed out he was a major Candidate X backer, and I said, Well, do you need any help, and he said, Well, yeah, but do you know anything about Candidate X? I pointed out that we'd met him, but that was it. He said to check him out and see if I wanted to pitch in.

Which I did last night. Seems like my kinda guy. I don't think he'll win. Well, he might, but only if it goes into run-offs, as it almost certainly will. So, that sounds like fun. I mean, here it wasn't even my first day yet and I'z gettin the hook UP.

But I must remember Even Steven's advice and keep a cool cortex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home